Saturday, September 27, 2014

2014 RSC September Orange Week 4 and Barn Quilt Picture


After playing with orange scraps this week I'll add five 5.5" Cocoa Mugs and four triangles to my collections. Three crochet spiral made it into the picture. They are fun, addictive.
To see what others made with their orange scraps this week go here.


I asked my brother and his GF to hold up my quilt of 12 Barn Quilts for a picture. It's 69" x 91", a generous twin size. The quilt barn blocks were made during Lori Holt's recent Barn Along. The tutorial for the barn is on her blog called BEE IN MY BONNET. The link to the barn tutorial post entry is here.
After I pieced the barn blocks, I sashed each barn with narrow strips of white fabric, then narrow strips of a black/white/gray fabric, then 2.5" strips of color. After sewing the blocks together, I added a bright yellow border. The quilt blocks in each barn are 6.5" square. One could use their favorite 6.5" quilt blocks in the individual barns. So many possibilities. The quilt pictured is made with twelve barns. Four barns could make a baby quilt. Six barns could make a lap quilt. The barn blocks can be sashed several ways. Borders on the quilt or not. Again, many possibilities.

18 comments:

Deb A said...

The barn quilt came out great! Love those cups of cocoa..... if only it were a wee bit chillier down in Florida so I could enjoy some.

Terri said...

Barn quilt turned out great! I love the mugs, too. Wonder what's being served in the spotted one?
Hugs

Karen said...

I love the barn quilt. I haven't wanted to make one. The scrubbies look like steam coming out of your cup blocks. Awesome blocks and scrubbies.

Teresa in Music City said...

What a wonderful barn quilt Sheila - love it!!! Isn't it sad to say goodbye to orange? Such zest and color!

scraphappy said...

Such a fun quilt. Those little quilts on each barn really do make it special. Love your oranges too. Looks like a great week!

Nell's Quilts said...

What a great finish on the barn quilt. The time you took to add all the sashing really makes the quilt. Great little cocoa mats and the scrubbies remind me of lollipops - too cute.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love the progress of your oranges...and can't wait to see all your colors together.

Dasha said...

Those barns are fabulous Sheila. What a great way to use up some orphans. I also like those little spirals. They are so colourful and happy. How many are you planning, and what are your plans for them?

LA Paylor said...

I'm loving your oranges!! What fun and just eye candy...
LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Kat Scribner said...

Your barn quilt is FAN_TABULOUS !

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great additions to your orange. I am so glad you got the barn quilt photo'ed in a nice upright setting - this just turned out so wonderful.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good post - great quilt photo, and fun oranges!

Cathy said...

Fun oranges and a gorgeous barn quilt. Oh, and thanks for the link. I MIGHT have to try one.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Sheila, I really like your oranges, but it's the barn quilt that steals the show - it is GORGEOUS!! And the sashings really do add to its beauty. Great job!

Marly said...

The barn quilt is fun, especially incorporating your favourite block patterns. Lovely orange mugs and triangles.

Sue Daurio said...

love your orange blocks, especially the mugs!! But that quilt with the barns is so wonderful! what a great idea, just love that one.

Laura said...

You really should put this one in next year's quilt show! It's awesome!

Kate said...

The Barn Quilt turned out beautifully! Love all the colors, the sashing really adds to the fun feel of that quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...