Friday, September 5, 2014

2014 RSC September, Orange, Week 1, Wishes Sew Along Progress, Barn Quilt Top


Angela choose orange for September's Rainbow Scrap Challenge color. I love orange and will add the four 8.5" blocks in the picture to my collection. To see what other made with orange this week, go here Saturday morning.


Kimberly at the Fat Quarter Shop Blog has posted instructions for 9 of the 12 blocks in the Wishes Sew Along. Pictured are my 9 blocks sashed. Time flies.


This is my second go at this quilt top of barn blocks made with Lori Holt's blog barn pattern during her barn along. Earlier this year I sewed my blocks together into a quilt top pictured in this post. The top was pretty, but didn't have enough color for me. So this week I cut the quilt apart and had another go at it, this time adding strips of colorful fabric sashing as Lori suggested in her Quilty Barn Quilt top block assembly instructions. I opted to add a yellow border. It's a happy looking quilt now. In this picture I had just sandwiched my reworked quilt top with a backing and White and Natural cotton batting. It's basted with safety pins. I've started quilting it with a loose free motion meander. Maybe I'll have this generous twin sized quilt finished by next weekend.
It's been a busy week getting ready for my quilt guild's annual quilt show this weekend. I entered two quilts and a wall hanging. Hanging Sleeves and labels had to be sewed on by hand, a slow process for me. I'll post quilt show pictures next week.

15 comments:

Ellen said...

You are always so productive!! I love orange so this month I plan on making some RSC blocks. I have taken on a major obligation this summer so have not had too much time to sew :(.

Terry said...

Everything looks wonderful...I love those barns! :0)

Deb A said...

The barn rework looks great! Love your bright oranges - so happy. That BOM is so sweet looking in those colors. Hope you have a successful quilt show.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You always have such a lovely variety of rainbow blocks. I like the new fix to the barn quilt - really pops it!

Terri said...

The new sashings and borders on the barns are so much better than the grey and black... Now they look like they live in a sunshine state.
Love your orange blocks, too.
Can't wait to see the quilt show.
Hugs

scraphappy said...

Those bright and happy sashings definitely make your quilts more YOU. So bright and cheerful. Enjoy the quilt show. Sounds like a great chance to enjoy lots of quilts.

Nell's Quilts said...

Good start o n the orange this month. I can see that you are so much happier with the reworked barn quilt. It was pretty tame at first but quite lovely. The brighter sashing makes it a more youthful and fun quilt. Love the little quilted barns. Were they pieced mini quilts on each barn?

Karen said...

You have very pretty tangerine blocks. I love the brightness of the color. Your sashing around your barns made the quilt awesome.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Haven't seen such a cheerful looking barn quilt! I love the bits of blue/green with the orange in your blocks! Very eye catching!

Angie said...

Your orange scrappy blocks look so yummy! I really like the addition of the "happy" strips to the barn quilt, too.

Mystic Quilter said...

Gorgeous orange blocks and I do love the spool. I look forward to seeing all your blocks together.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love that you took apart the barn top to make it brighter and happier!

Loving the oranges this month!

KatieQ said...

I really like the new sashing on your barn quilt. It brightens it up.
Great orange blocks.

Cathy said...

Oh, that barn quilt is lots of fun. Wish I had participated in that one.

Judy D in WA said...

Love your orange blocks! I'm gong to get out my Wishes blocks (now that I'm caught up!!!) and get them sashed and work on some border 4 patches.
LOVE the barns! The colorful sashing is perfect. Makes it all bright and happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...